International Academic Competitions is pleased to announce that the 2019 Middle School and Elementary School National Championships of the National History Bee and Bowl will be held on June 7-10 (Friday through Monday) at the Hyatt Regency O’Hare in Rosemont, Illinois, next to Chicago. The National History Bee will take place on June 7-9, and the National History Bowl will take place on June 9 in its entirety.
Registration for all Nationals events is available at this link but please read the following before proceeding further! Registering implies acceptance of the following policies:
OFFICIAL HOTEL POLICY: Staying at an official hotel is required for all students and families coming from outside a 3 hour driving radius per Google Maps. We currently have room blocks at 3 official hotels, though the block where the competition is taking place, the Hyatt Regency, O’Hare, is basically sold out (you can try reserving rooms, but they are likely to only be available if someone cancels at this point).
Official Hotels (updated on May 6)
You must use the links below to book rooms per our policy; other methods of booking are not valid and may lead to your child not being able to compete!
UPDATE MAY 6: We have secured a block of 200+ rooms on the peak nights of June 6-8 (with sufficient shoulder night capacity as well) at the Crowne Plaza Chicago Northbrook the booking link and further details are available below.
1. Crowne Plaza Chicago Northbrook – rooms are $129 a night (either a king bed with a pullout sofa or two queen beds) including breakfast for all guests. This hotel is approximately 25 minutes from O’Hare and the Hyatt Regency O’Hare. Complimentary shuttle service to and from O’Hare on June 5-11, and to the Hyatt Regency O’Hare on June 7-10 will be provided. Rooms must be booked through this link (be sure that IAC is listed in the Group Code box).
2. Currently full or nearly full – Hyatt Regency O’Hare – rooms are $145 (king) or $155 (double / double) – Rooms must be booked through this link (note that this block is likely to be sold out)
3. Currently full or nearly full – Hilton Chicago O’Hare Airport – rooms are $154 (both king and double/double – please reserve a king room if you can, as we have a limited number of rooms with 2 double beds, and we are trying to keep those for families planning on having 3 or 4 people stay in a room) – Rooms must be booked through this link (note that this website may say National History BN Bowl or something like that, but rest assured it is the valid link for all competitions, including geography ones). Free shuttles will be available to bring students and families from this hotel to the Hyatt Regency O’Hare where the National Championships are taking place.
If these blocks fill up, we will continue to secure additional blocks at nearby hotels.
A finalized schedule of events * and their start times of all events at International Academic Competitions’ 2019 Middle School and Elementary School National Championships, including the National History Bee, is now available for download here.
* = This finalized version (updated on May 16, 2019) contains a few slight modifications to the earlier “confirmed” schedule that had been available throughout the early months of 2019. These include:
-There will be four preliminary rounds in the Academic Bee; all students will play in all 4 rounds. These will begin at 9am on June 7 (rounds 1 and 2) and 9am on June 8 (rounds 3 and 4). Round 2 will begin as soon as all rooms have finished Round 1. Round 4 will begin as soon as all rooms have finished Round 3.
-We can confirm that there will be 3 preliminary rounds in the Intl. Geography Bee, beginning at 6:30pm on June 7. All students competing in this event will play all 3 of these rounds.
-There will only be two rounds of playoffs in the Academic Bee. These will begin at 3:15pm on June 8.
-The other events on the evening of June 8 have also been moved up in the schedule. The History Bee playoffs now begin at 5pm. The Intl. Geography Bee playoffs now begin at 6:45pm. The Humanities Bee finals now begins at 8pm.
-The start time for the History Bowl is now 8:30am on June 9.
-The start time for the Academic Bowl is now 8:30am on June 10.
OFFICIAL NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS REFUND POLICY:
Nationals will be held together with the National Championships of US Academic Bee and Bowl, the National Science Bee, National Humanities Bee, and the Middle School and Elementary School National Championships of the US Geography Olympiad and International Geography Bee.
A confirmed schedule of events and their start times of all events at International Academic Competitions’ 2019 Middle School and Elementary School National Championships, including the National History Bee and Bowl is now available for download here.
A total of $20,000 worth of prizes will be on offer at IAC 2019 IAC Middle School and Elementary School National Championships! Click here to download a file showing how these prizes are allocated.
Costs of Individual Events at Nationals
$135 – National History Bee
$135 – National Science Bee
$115 – US Academic Bee
$80 – US Geography Olympiad (overlaps with National Humanities Bee; a student can’t compete in both)
$80 – International Geography Bee
$50 – National Humanities Bee (overlaps with US Geography Olympiad; a student can’t compete in both)
* There are no caps on the sizes of teams at Nationals, but of course no more than four students can play at any given time on a team. Teams may carry as many substitute players as they wish.
No discounts are available for bringing buzzers. If your school is interested in providing experienced coaches as readers at Nationals, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about possible reader discounts, which will be handled on a case by case basis.
Students will qualify for the National Championships in the National History Bee based on their finish at the Regional Finals. Students can qualify for Nationals in the National History Bowl through participation in either the National History Bee or National History Bowl regional tournaments. The top 50% of students at Regional Finals in each age division of the National History Bee will qualify for Nationals. For further questions, please contact email@example.com
Thanks, and good luck in qualifying! We hope to see you at Nationals in June!